My areas of interest include transnational biopolitics, postcolonial criticisms, critical animal studies/posthumanisms, feminist science and technology studies, medical humanities, and performance and literary theories. My current research focuses on how assemblages of humans, other animals, and technologies mediate the power relations of sex/gender, race, disability, and species in a transnational context.
I'm currently completing my book project Prosthetic Memories, examining the ethics of embodied memory in an age of transnational mobility and biotechnology by examining the diasporic tongue (as both language and organ), animal cloning, and human stem cell research across the United States and South Korea.
My new research project examines the relationship between children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, the elderly with dementia, and smart technologies, such as AI and robots in South Korea. Fundamentally interdisciplinary, this project invites conversations among queer-feminist theories, postcolonial critiques, critical disability studies, and East Asian science and technology studies.
- "'Warm Robots' for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder? The Thermodynamics of Sociality, Humanity, and Techno-society in South Korea," manuscript under preparation
- “The Biopolitics of Languaging in the Cybernetic Fold: A Decolonial and Queer Ear to the Cosmo-poetics,” a special issue on Biopolitics, Necropolitics, and Cosmopolitics for the Journal of Gender Studies 29.1 (2020)
- “Feral Biopolitics: Animal Bodies and/as Border Technologies,” Tranimacies: Intimate Links between Animal and Trans* Studies, special issue of Angelaki: Journal of the Theoretical Humanities 22.2 (2017)
- “Disappearing Bitches: Canine Affect and Postcolonial Bioethics,” Configurations: A Journal of Literature, Science and Technology 24. 3 (2016)
- Book Review, “Mel Y. Chen, Animacies: Biopolitics, Racial Mattering, and Queer Affect,” East Asian Science, Technology and Society 9.1 (2015)
Courses taught by Hyaesin Yoon
Events with involvement of Hyaesin Yoon
|Vegetal Mediations: Plant Agency in Contemporary Art and Environmental Humanities |
May 5, 2017 - 1:00pm
|Dehumanization: New approaches to understanding the politics of human nature |
April 6, 2016 - 11:00am