Fellowships and Awards
- External member of the Hungarian Academy of Science (1993)
- Invited member of Wolfson College, Oxford (1980-82).
- Invited scholar at the European University Institute in Fiesole (1994), at the Max Planck Institut fur Bildungsforschung in Berlin (1977).
- Member of several juries for doctoral defence and habilitation in Paris, Florence, Geneva, Budapest, etc.
- Convener of an international workshop on European student exchanges in pre-1945 Europe. Last conference in Budapest, April 2005.
- European Workshop on elite recruitment. Last conference in Wittenberg, October 2005.
- Organiser of a Hungarian workshop on educational inequalities and elite training in Hungary (1850-1948). Several publications in print.
- Membership at the Centre de Sociologie Europeenne (CNRS and EHESS in Paris).
- Convenor of an international network on elite formation in emerging nation states of East Central Europe (19th-20th Centuries)
CEU Doctoral Supervision
- The Migration of the Numerus Clausus Exiles / Ágnes Kelemen (current) --co-supervision with Michael Laurence Miller
- Between assimilation and catastrophe: Hungarian Jewish intellectual discourses in the shadow of nazism / Ferenc Loerinc Laczo (2011)
- Jewish politics in Hungary: jewish parliamentary politicians 1867-1890 / Árpád Welker (2006)
- A forgotten home front: the middle classes and the jewish question in first world war Hungary / Péter Bihari (2005)
- The informal politics of culture: Transylvanian learned societies civic networks and the formation of the nation-state 1790-1914 / Borbála Zsuzsanna Török (2004)
- State-minority relations and the education of Turks and Pomaks in inter-war Bulgaria 1918-1944 / Mila Mancheva (2003)
- National controversy in the Transylvanian Academe: the Cluj/Kolozsvár University, 1900-1950 / Zoltán Pálfy (2003)
Budapest and Paris (diplôme d`expert-demogpraphe from the Sorbonne, 1965)